Sunday, June 7, 2020

Girl Power: I can sit still



Girl Power: I can sit still


 P1, 1960.

I am five years old.
I can sit still and listen. 
I will not talk because 
the teacher asked us not to. 
Us is me too.

This is not hard to do.
It's just as easy as standing still
or, after playtime, marching indoors  
quietly in pairs while holding
your partner's hand, or

Good Morning, Boys and Girls,
returning the teacher's greeting
in unison. And likewise sitting down
on receiving the invite, as thusly 
it was phrased, for politeness.

So proceeded the day; politely,
willingly, orderly, quietly.
Such discipline needing no effort
for although I did not know it
this is what makes me, me.

My little self, showing an iron will
in following a template whose end
was to make me worthy
of respect in my journey to
being a lady, the loveliest  and

the truest girl power.



Admittedly, the time frame is short for its application, but one wonders if epigenetic effects are also involved in the apparent constitutional inability of so many contemporary children to sit still and otherwise demonstrate the strong self-control of their recent ancestors. This control being especially true of little girls then, who could apply and project it at a truly formidable level, as I clearly recall.

We refer to 'also involved' as an acknowledgement of the various societal changes in this same time-frame. Powerful though such forces obviously are, they still seem to me to be not sufficient to explain the random, inner chaos that finds first expression in the inability to sit still on instruction.

And repeated instruction.


4 comments:

  1. I take it then that the same applied to little boys .. although maybe not as many .. for as we know .. some wee laddies can be richt wee devils ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Concur; for wee boys’ enthusiasms must always stand in opposition to their self-discipline. This presence too brings a delight, although quite different from the graceful charm of a little lady. It’s not all sugar and spice, though; those little girls that have mastered witchcraft easily outmatch in mischief-power the occasional devil in wee boys.

      In 1960, however, devils and witches were not tolerated in school. Perhaps you already know this from personal experience.

      First name on the register, you can sit where you want!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant piece on Rowling..poems spot on!..jj.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great piece on Rowling...a Faustian pact perhaps.

    ReplyDelete