Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Pride goeth before destruction


Pride goeth before destruction,
So, she always gets one wrong
And spoils the perfect 10
She so covets, covets
Like battery acid in the gut

She argues over my marking
That ‘e’ is really an ‘a’, so it’s right!
A clash of wills, I don’t submit
Even for a quiet life

She checks classmates’ work
For errors, but with a view
To reducing their score!
And argues this too

I tell to mind her own business
She threatens me with incompetence
And when force doesn’t work
She switches to tears, easily

For her own sake and for that
Of her future husbands I resist
Her various manipulations, sometimes
It feels like I am her future husband

Finally she gets them all correct
I congratulate, genuinely pleased
For her and equally relived for myself
But alas to find the taste of victory

Did not bring the expected sweetness
Of spirit distilled from relief
But hubristic residue: It’s about time
I was shown some respect!

and a haughty spirit before a fall.

By way of contrast with last week’s wonderful little girl of the past, I present a sometimes less wonderful little girl of the present.
Such a child, here illustrated in the poem, could not and would not have displayed this bumptiousness in a class of her grandmother’s time. And any age prior to this would have rendered, even the thought, utterly inconceivable. She could have played the Catherine de' Medici at home, or perhaps the playground, but it was against just such lèse-majesté that teachers were armed with the belt. Whether its use (or more likely, threat of) could have sweetened her character is perhaps to be debated later, but it would have certainly put a leash on her tongue and the persecution of her classmates - and thus served, it could be argued, the public good.
I must note that I rather admired, grudgingly, the daemon that drove this child. It is unusual to find one, at such a young age (P3), so directly combative against an adult. If only this energy could have been put to a kinder and more positive end; she could have been a little shining star, instead of a dark star.
I rather fancied her as fixable, but this process would have to come with her maturity. There is no way in the educational world of the present that such a child could be sorted. This is our tragedy and hers.
I wish her well. And hope that she doesn't read this; I'm a wee bit scared of her coming to my door to tell me who's who and what's what.

No comments:

Post a Comment